Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of our favorite winter chowders. It goes great with some nice warm corn bread.
Make and share this Cheese Vegetable Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 8 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups corn (canned or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- chopped fresh parsley
- Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a large pot. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in corn.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly, Grandually wisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, stirring until blended.
- Stir cheese mixture gradually into vegetable mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately. Garnish,if desired with some freshly chopped parsley.
We loved this soup. It's absolutely delicious. Combine that with simple to prepare and it's a definite winner in my house.
Made for Best of 2010 Cookbook tag.
This was delicious and the perfect meal for a snowy Saturday morning. Once the chopping was done it cooked quickly. It was a wonderful veggie chowder and would be equally good with leftover chicken or ham added. We'll be making this one again. Another great recipe Bobbie!!