Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Ok, I haven't tried Vegemite yet, but I'm bound and determined to, so I found this recipe on their website. It sounded good! I hear the biggest mistake we Americans make with both Vegemite and Marmite are to slather them on thickly like peanut butter when the "right" way is to put a very thin, almost transparent layer on toast or the bread of your sandwich. I'm quite eager to try them, but a bit scared from all the "love it or hate it" hype! Of course, that's true for things like liver and brussel sprouts too...
- 12 slices bread, crusts removed
- butter, for spreading
- vegemite, for spreading
- 60 g bacon, finely chopped
- 80 g sliced mushrooms
- 60 g grated tasty cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 80 ml cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- SPREAD each slice of bread with butter then very thinly with Vegemite. Press bread into non-stick muffin pans, Vegemite sides facing up.
- COOK bacon and mushrooms in a frying pan for 2 minutes. Combine bacon, mushrooms, cheese, eggs, cream and chives.
- SPOON savoury egg mixture into bread cases and bake at 210ºC for 15 minutes or until set. Serve hot or cold.