Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Flaky, crispy--absolutely scrummy!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup water, ice-cold
- Preheat oven to gas mark 7/425°F/220°C.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl along with dried chili flakes and dried oregano.
- Rub in the butter and grated cheese till the mixture is crumbly.
- Add in cold water and mix lightly until mixture holds together and leaves side of the bowl clean.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 10x10 inches square.
- Now cut the square in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into strips about 1/2 inch wide.
- Carefully lift each strip and twist gently and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden browned.
- Remove from oven and carefully transfer cheese twists onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container - if you have any left!
These are very easy to make. My first batch was burnt as I set my timer for 15 minutes and the oven to 220oC and walked away. The next batch I had the oven at 180oC and cooked them at 15 mins and they were perfect. I didn't change a thing but these are very versatile, you can add your favourite herbs and spices to make them more personalised. The second batch I didn't even twist them and left them as cheese sticks. Thank you Aaliyah's mum