Recipe by nicky wagerfield
i worked in a mexican restaurant back home in cape town, south africa & i just waffled these down on a regular basis! i didn't know exact recipe & have just guessed & reinvented it to come up with an awesome tasting treat of a snack! i've estimated this recipe for one portion, so just multiply ingredients to fit your meal table of guests.
- 1 tortilla
- 2 tablespoons onion tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 cup grated mature cheese
- chili (fresh or pickled & to your taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tortilla in large non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Spread pasta sauce (like for pizza) on tortilla, add cheese, chili & a little salt to taste. Fold in half & press down.
- Let cook so you see cheese melting, press down further to make nice & flat. Turn over a few times until a bit golden on both sides & all cheese is melted.
- Place on a plate; use pizza cutter to halve then halve each half so they look like four pizza slices.
- Arrange around plate & serve with guacamole & sour cream in centre of plate.
- Note: Corriander wouldn't go a miss either in tostado for flavour or as edible garnish!