- Preheat oven to 400: F.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add carrot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain vegetables in a colander.
- Place mixture in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Stir in peas; set aside. To prepare the sauce, in a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and broth.
- Bring to a boil and cook, whisking frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in = cup of cheddar and the pepper.
- Pour sauce over vegeta bles; stir until coated.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar over top.
- Bake until cheese is bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.