Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A sweet potato casserole that is savoury, not sweet, great with a nice schnitzel or steak, a nice change from normal potatoes.
- 1 kg sweet potato, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 40 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock, extra
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated low-fat cheese
- Combine sweet potato, onion, garlic & stock in a pan, cover & simmer until potato is tender, drain.
- Placew sweet potato into a greased oven-proof dish.
- Melt butter in a pan, stir in flour & stir over heat until bubbling.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in combined milk & extra stock.
- Return to heat & stir until sauce boils & thickens, stir in thyme.
- Pour sauce over sweet potato and top with breadcrumbs & cheese.
- Bake at 180.C for approx 20 mins or until nicely browned.
This was a very nice way to prepare sweet potatoes. My DH loves sweet potatoes and I am always looking for ways to prepare them and this was great. Nice flavor and taste.
I love to find savory sweet potato recipes and this is now one of my new favorites. The only thing I added was a little salt. I put some cheese in the white sauce as well as on top. This is such a great combination of flavors. Thanx for posting this. I'll make this again.