Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tourteau Fromage a la Compote de Fraises et Oranges. This dessert is from the Vendee and Poitou regions in France. Traditionally it is made with fresh goat's milk cheese, but a mixture of ricotta and cream cheese is the perfect substitute in this recipe. The fruit compote is a nice accompaniment. Published in Bon Appetit, May 1994.
Pate Sucree Dough
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten to blend
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water
- 4 oranges
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons orange flower water
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- Combine first 3 ingredients in bowl; stir to blend. Add butter and cut in, using pastry blender or fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yolks; stir with fork until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap dough in plastic; chill until firm, about 30 minutes. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep chilled. Let soften slightly at room temperature before using.).
- Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 350°F Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 14-inch diameter round. Roll up on rolling pin and transfer to 9-inch diameter tart pan with removable bottom and 2-inch high sides. Gently press dough into place, patching where necessary.
- Puree ricotta and cream cheese in processor. Blend in sugar and honey. Add eggs 1 at a time, blending after each addition. Add cream. orange zest, and orange flower water; blend. Pour into crust. (Filling will not come up to top of crust, but crust will shrink to fit.).
- Bake tart until filling is golden, edge of filling begins to crack and small sharp knife inserted into filling 2 inches from edge comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- Using sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working over vowl to catch juices, cut between membranes to release segments. Add segments to bowl. Add strawberries, sugar, honey, orange flower water and orange zest; mix to blend. Let stand about 5 minutes. Serve with tart.