Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From the Summer 2006 edition of Kerasma's Greek Gourmet Traveler. Yield is a guess.
- 5 fresh pears
- 100 g sugar
- 160 g butter
- 100 g confectioners' sugar
- 60 g honey
- 150 g xinomyzithra cheese (substitution -- a combination of 2 ounces whipped greek feta cheese and 2 ounces farmer's cheese)
- 3 eggs
- 230 g flour
- 100 g ground walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the pears, cut in half, and remove the seeds and stem.
- Bring to a simmer in a medium pot with 2 cups water and the sugar.
- As soon as they soften, remove and strain. Let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer at high speed whip together the butter, confectioner's sugar, and honey until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Remove bowl.
- Using a spatula or spoon, vigorously mix in the cheese, flour, and half the walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a 25-cm (10-inch) tart pan.
- Cut the pears into thin slice and spread evenly and decoratively over the surface of the tart.
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 30 minutes, lower heat to 150C (300F) and continue baking another 10 minutes or until the tart is set.