Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Zucchini "boats" stuffed with a cheese custard. A great way to use zucchini & it's lacto-ovo vegetarian, and my omnivore husband loves it. Very mild flavor. I think it's a good basic recipe that can be played with. The size of the zucchini is the tricky part - sometimes too small, sometimes too big.
- 4 medium zucchini (about 6-inch in length)
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs, buttered (optional)
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Parboil zucchini in a large saucepan with boiling salted water to cover for 5 minutes.
- Drain & scoop out seeds without going through sides.
- Mix together cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs and spices.
- Spoon cheese mixture into the zucchini halves. (Do not mound - it will run over) Place in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minute or until custard is set.
- When custard is done, you can sprinkle the zucchini with the bread crumbs and bake for 5 more minutes until the crumbs are toasty.