Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a good entre meal in the summertime with all those homegrown tomatoes out there. Use your imagination and add whatever spices suit your own taste.
- Peel the tomatoes, and then cut in half or quarters.
- You can scoop out a bit of the pulp if you want, but the more tomatoe you have the better.
- In a blender, whip together the cottage cheese with the lemon juice.
- Then melt the margarine in a skillet.
- Saute the mushrooms and onion till soft, then add the flour and cracker meal.
- Stir in the cottage cheese mixture, and cook for a few minutes.
- Place tomatoes in your baking dish, and cover with the cheese mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with additional shredded cheese and heat long enough to melt.
I didn't peel the tomatoes but I should have because the peel was bitter. The tomatoes on the bottom got really soggy and I wonder if the peel had something to do with that. I didn't blend the cottage cheese and lemon juice, just mashed them with a fork. I also used breadcrumbs instead of cracker meal. The top onions/mushroom part was really great!