Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These tomatoes are done on the grill and are an excellent side for a grilled steak.
- 3 large tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Scoop out center of each tomato half, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell.
- Chop scooped out tomato pulp; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, butter, basil, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese and chopped tomato pulp.
- Fill tomato shells with breadcrumb mixture.
- Wrap each stuffed half in foil.
- Place on grill, stuffed side up.
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove foil; sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Tomatoes are delicious cooked this way. We have made them many times with quite a few variations. Sometimes just like the recipe, sometimes with a little olive oil and seasoning salt sprinkled on them. We've cooked them in the oven and also on the grill when we're grilling. They always turn out great.
These cheese-stuffed tomatoes make a different side dish for steak. I wanted something other than potatoes to go with my bbq steaks. These tomatoes were amazing I was able to use fresh basil like CelestialShannon and some left over homemade bread for the breadcrumbs. I topped with green onions instead of parsley because I didn't have parsley. I would recommend trying this recipe. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.
What a great fast recipe....I just happened to run accross this and realized I had everything to make them....fabulous....