Cooking the pork chops on the bone keeps the meat moist and juicy, while the additiion of Gouda gives this dish the classic flavour of ham and cheese. From Gourmet Nov. 2004
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 59.14 ml cider vinegar
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml caraway seed, slightly crushed
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4 3/4 inch thick smoked bone in pork chops (2 lbs in total)
- 113.39 g gouda cheese or 113.39 g gruyere cheese, coarsely grated (1 cup)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1Toss together cabbage, carrot, vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds and salt in a bowl and let stand, tossing occasionally, 15 minutes.
- 2Holding a sharp small knife parallel to a work surface, cut a wide pocket in each chip, cutting through to the bone, beginning at rounded edge.
- 3Divide cheese amongst pork chops, packing it into pockets and pressing chops flat.
- 4Dry chops and season on both sides with pepper to taste.
- 5Heat one TBS oil in a wide 3 to 4 QT heavy pot over moderate heat until hot, but not smoking, then cook slaw, tossing frequently until cabbage is crisp tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6Heat remaining TBs oil in a 12 inch heavy skillet over moderately hight heat, then saute chops, turning over once until browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 7cover skillet and cok chops just until heated through and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more.
- 8Divide slaw among 4 plates and top with chops.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Stuffed Smoked Pork Chops on Warm Cabbage Caraway Coleslaw
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.7
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 107.3 mg
- Sodium 617.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 31.0 g