1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe from Canadian Living magazine. It's very hearty with the beef in the sauce. You could also omit the beef if you want a vegetarian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (can substitute vegetable oil)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (340 g) box jumbo pasta shells
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In shallow Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; cook beef, breaking up with spoon, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. With slotted spoon, transfer to bowl. Drain any fat from pan.
- 2Add remaining oil to pan; sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add basil, oregano, hot pepper flakes, salt, pepper, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Return beef to pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened.
- 3Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions until tender but firm. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain well and place on damp tea towel.
- 4Filling: Meanwhile, in bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, 1 cup mozzarella, parsley, onions, eggs, basil, nutmeg, and pepper.
- 5Pour half of the beef and tomato sauce into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish. Spoon heaping 1 tbsp (15 mL) filling into each pasta shell. Arrange snugly, stuffed side up, in dish. Spoon remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheeses. Cover with foil.
- 6Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Stuffed Shells With Beef and Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.9
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 149.5 mg
- Sodium 842.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 41.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper