2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 45 mins
If you want to study the art of meatless barbecue, India is the place to do it. So says Steve Raichlen in his Globe-Trotter Guide to BBQ.This nation of more than a billion people has more vegetarians than there are people in the USA. Over the centuries, Indian grill masters have evolved a higly sophisticated style of vegetarian barbecue - dishes bursting with flavor (not to mention dairy and grain proteins). Their grilling is so complex and satisfying, you'll never miss the meat! Tandoori "aloo" potato - turns up at grill parlors throughout northern India. The best Raichlen has ever tasted came from the landmark restaurant Moti Mahal in Delhi, the potatoes were packed with cheese, slathered with spice paste, and crusted with sesame seeds. What's not to like? If unable to find the yogurt for some reason, place regular yogurt in cheesecloth-lined strainer set over a large bowl. Cover and chill overnight to drain & voilá! Bon Appetit Magazine, July 2009 edition. There are cooling times that vary - depending on when you serve these wonderful potatoes.:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup packed coarsely grated monterey jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3 large unpeeled russet potatoes, scrubbed (each about 16 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chili, seeded, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- coarse kosher salt
YOGURT SPICE PASTE
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika or 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (A thick yogurt, sold at Whole Foods Market or Trader Joes or at Greek markets)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (about 2.6 ounces)
- 1POTATOES & STUFFING:.
- 2Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F
- 3Place potatoes directly on oven rack and bake until tender when pierced with fork, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 4Transfer to platter and let stand until cool enough to handle. ( Can be made 1 day ahead; Cover and chill.)*.
- 5Cut potatoes horizontally in half.
- 6Using spoon, scoop out pulp, leaving 1/3-inch-thick shell.
- 7Transfer potato pulp to medium bowl and mash; mix in cheese, melted butter, cilantro, green onion, chile, and sesame seeds.
- 8Season potato mixture generously with salt and pepper; divide among potato shells.(Can be made 6 hours ahead.)**
- 9Cover and chill.
- 10YOGURT-SPICE PASTE:.
- 11Combine first 6 ingredients in processor.
- 12Using on/off turns, blend until mixture is finely chopped.
- 13Add yogurt, oil, and lemon juice and process until smooth puree forms.
- 14Transfer to small bowl.
- 15Season to taste with salt and pepper.(Can be made 6 hours ahead.)***
- 16Cover and refrigerate.
- 17Remove top rack from grill.
- 18Place disposable aluminum baking pan in center of bottom rack (if using 2-burner gas grill, place pan on 1 side of burner).
- 19Add enough water to pan to reach depth of 1 inch.
- 20Prepare barbecue (medium heat).
- 21If using charcoal grill, light briquettes in chimney and pour half onto rack on each side of disposable pan.
- 22If using 3-burner gas grill, light burners on left and right, leaving center burner off.
- 23If using 2-burner gas grill, light burner on side opposite disposable pan.
- 24Return top rack to grill.
- 25Place sheet of foil on grill rack above unlit burner; brush with vegetable oil.
- 26Place sesame seeds on small plate.
- 27Place half of yogurt-spice paste in shallow bowl and reserve.
- 28Spread remaining yogurt-spice paste over top of potato filling in each potato half.
- 29Sprinkle with half of sesame seeds.
- 30Dip bottom of each potato half into reserved spice paste, then dip into remaining sesame seeds.
- 31Place potatoes atop foil on grill rack above disposable pan.
- 32Cover barbecue and grill until potatoes are heated through and bubbling in center, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 33Transfer potatoes to platter and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese-Stuffed Potatoes/Yogurt-Spice/Sesame Seed Crust
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 357.3
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 26.9 mg
- Sodium 529.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: