Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious appetizer. These can be made early in the day and refrigerated until baking time.
- 36 large mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1⁄3 cup madeira wine
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 -3 tablespoons cream
- 3 tablespoons shredded swiss cheese
- Clean the mushrooms and pat dry; remove stems and chop finely.
- Dip mushroom caps in 3 tablespoons melted butter and arrange cup side up in a shallow baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter and the oil in a skillet for 3 to 4 minutes; do not brown.
- Add the scallions and chopped mushroom stems and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the wine and boil until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Mix bread crumbs, 1/4 c Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, tarragon and salt and pepper in a bowl; add mushroom mixture and mix well.
- Add the cream a spoonful at a time, stirring until the mixture is moistened but stiff enough to hold its shape on a spoon; adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Fill each mushroom cap with stuffing and place on a baking sheet.
- Top each with a pinch of Swiss cheese.
- Chill until ready to bake.
- Bake at 375ºfor 15 to 20 minutes or until caps are tender and top is light brown.
Spring PAC 2008: These appetizers are little bites of heaven.