Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's your basic meatloaf but kicked up! My husband hates meatloaf but when I make this he can't get enough!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 26 -28 ounces spaghetti sauce, ragu chunky garden style is what I recommend
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, however much desired
- wax paper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl mix beef, 1/3 cup of sauce,egg, and bread crumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out wax paper on table and flatten mixture on it.
- Shape into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of cheese and parsley down center leaving 3/4 inch border.
- Then roll the meatloaf like a jelly roll tightly and be sure when rolling to pull the wax paper off.
- Press and seal the ends closed put in to pan.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Pour remaining sauce and cheese on top and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This was a great meatloaf. I to followed the suggestion to just open up a hole in the middle fill it in with the cheese and then just close it up, seemed easier for me. Other then that folled it to the t. Thanks
This was great! I didn't have wax paper but just put it in my meatloaf pan, made a little boat area and filled with cheese and then closed it up and cooked. It was delicious and a great twist on regular old meatloaf! I served with some parmasan angel hair pasta. Delicious!
I have tried this recipe twice. The first time I wound up putting it down the disposal. I used cheddar cheese instead of the mozzarella and thought that might be my problem. The meatloaf did not cook in 60 minutes. I put it back in the oven several times until it was burned on the outside and raw in the middle.
Today I thought I'd try it again. I used mozzarella this time and followed the recipe exactly. Rolling it was not a problem but I didn't get it sealed totally and did have some seepage. After 45 minutes I could see blood in this seepage so I put it back for another 15 minutes. After that 15 minutes I cut through the middle and it once again was raw.
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef should cook in 60 minutes. I do not have a problem with my oven temperature with any other foods so don't think that is the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?