Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's your basic meatloaf but kicked up! My husband hates meatloaf but when I make this he can't get enough!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 26 -28 ounces spaghetti sauce, ragu chunky garden style is what I recommend
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, however much desired
- wax paper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl mix beef, 1/3 cup of sauce,egg, and bread crumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out wax paper on table and flatten mixture on it.
- Shape into a rectangle.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of cheese and parsley down center leaving 3/4 inch border.
- Then roll the meatloaf like a jelly roll tightly and be sure when rolling to pull the wax paper off.
- Press and seal the ends closed put in to pan.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Pour remaining sauce and cheese on top and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
I have tried this recipe twice. The first time I wound up putting it down the disposal. I used cheddar cheese instead of the mozzarella and thought that might be my problem. The meatloaf did not cook in 60 minutes. I put it back in the oven several times until it was burned on the outside and raw in the middle.
Today I thought I'd try it again. I used mozzarella this time and followed the recipe exactly. Rolling it was not a problem but I didn't get it sealed totally and did have some seepage. After 45 minutes I could see blood in this seepage so I put it back for another 15 minutes. After that 15 minutes I cut through the middle and it once again was raw.
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef should cook in 60 minutes. I do not have a problem with my oven temperature with any other foods so don't think that is the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
This was a great meatloaf. I to followed the suggestion to just open up a hole in the middle fill it in with the cheese and then just close it up, seemed easier for me. Other then that folled it to the t. Thanks
This was quite good. I started out trying to roll mine and couldn't do it. So I put half the meatloaf in my baking diosh, sprinkled the cheese on it and put the oother half if the meat mixture on top of that ahd sealed it. I have never put spaghetti sauce in meatloaf before. I will make this again but next time I will add onions to it. I used Monterey Jack cheese instead of Mozzarella because that is what I had on hand. There was a lot of oil in the baking dish after I baked it. I am not sure if it came from the cheese or what. I thought the quality of beef I used was good, but maybe it had more fat than I thought it did. I used Newmans Own Garlic and Peppers pasta sauceIt was really good!! sauce. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Fall '08.