1/3 Photos of Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs
I am eating this as I write - it's a recipe I got from the Williams-Sonoma catalog. They came out just delicious and the extra meatballs will be my lunch and dinner this week. One caveat - seal the cheese in the meatballs securely, or it will melt out when simmering in the sauce. It was a bit tedious to make, but not difficult. There are quite a few steps. The sauce was a bit of a pain for me to make (didn't have a tomato press), so I used premade. But I think this is the way I'll make my meatballs from now on!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced (save some for garnish)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/3 lb mozzarella cheese or 1/3 lb provolone cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- olive oil (for frying)
- 48 ounces tomato sauce (use premade or make your own)
- grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1In a large bowl, combine the milk and bread crumbs.
- 2Whip eggs in separate bowl. Then add to larger bowl along with the meats, parsley, garlic and pepper.
- 3Mix ingredients briefly with hands.
- 4Form into 2 inch balls.
- 5Seal cheese cube into center of each meatball.
- 6In a large skillet set on medium-high, heat oil to almost-smoking, browing meatballs for about a minute or so.
- 7Transfer meatballs to tray (lined with paper towels).
- 8Discard oil and place tomato sauce in skillet, heating to medium-high until it starts to simmer.
- 9Add meatballs, cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- 10Cover, simmer for 30 minutes.
- 11Uncover and cook for 10 minutes more.
- 12Serve over pasta with grated cheese, or place in Italian bread buns to make grinders.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.6
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 171.7 mg
- Sodium 1306.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 33.0 g