Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Breaded meatballs in a shelled out bread loaf topped with sauce and cheese. Yummy! I made this recipe out of scraps around the kitchen and it turned out pretty good! I made this by eyeballing all the ingredients so measurements are approximates, adjust as what fits your taste.
- 1⁄2 lb ground meat (I use buffalo, but beef will work just as well)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pizza seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (I use flavored, garlic)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 slices cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (I use www.recipezaar.com/227060)
- 1 -2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 loaf of uncut bread (I use sourdough)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Mix garlic, ground meat, and pizza seasonings.
- Form small meatballs, about 8-10.
- Poke a small hole into the middle of the meatball with your pinkie and stuff 1-2 cheese cubes inside. Make sure to close your meatball securely around cheese so that it doesn't ooze out.
- Put flour on one small dish. Mix egg and milk in a small bowl. Mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in another small dish.
- Roll each meatball in the flour until well coated. Dip into the egg/milk mixture until the whole meatball is wet. Roll in the breadcrumb mixture until well coated.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. When heated drop the meatballs in and cook until brown on the outside and done in the center. Make sure to turn the meatballs so they don't burn on one side.
- Heat up the spaghetti sauce in a separate pan.
- While meatballs are cooking, cut the top 1/4 of bread off. Hollow out the inside of the loaf ( I save these and put them in the oven and they make good dipping bread). Put loaf on a baking sheet.
- When meatballs are done, put them inside the hollowed out loaf of bread. Cover with the spaghetti sauce. Top with most of the mozzarella cheese. Put the top of the loaf next to sub on baking sheet, sprinkle this with the remaining mozzarella.
- Place sub in oven and cook for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Cut into 2 - 4 pieces and enjoy!
- This can be a little messy - but it's worth it!