Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Everyday with Rachael Ray Mag, March 2009.
Make and share this Cheese-Stuffed Hot Dogs With Spicy Onions - Rachael Ray recipe from Food.com.
- 4 franks
- 2 tablespoons McCormick grill seasoning
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 hot dog buns
- Preheat the broiler.
- Make a slit lengthwise down each frank, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Place the grill seasoning and franks in a plastic bag; shake to coat.
- Place the franks on a baking sheet and stuff each with 2 or 3 strips of cheese.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the brown sugar, chipotle, adobo sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Butter the insides of the buns and place up on the baking sheet with the franks. Broil until the cheese melts and the buns are toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble the hot dogs and top with the caramelized onions.
These are the business! Oven baked, crispy bun, oozing with cheese, mmm.
Good gracious, these were doglicious. I did have to cook longer than the stated time, but I had them broiling on the second rack so I didn't have to watch so closely. I am so glad I have leftover onion as these were superb--sweet with a zip. I plan on either topping chicken or pork chops with them; they would also be terrific on hamburgers. I would strongly suggest making extra onions when making these as they are perfect. Instead of chipotle chile and sauce, I just used chipotle sauce (Bufalo brand).
OMG !! Very nice hot dogs, loved the bit of spice in these, and we really enjoyed the onions. Made for Cookbook Tag 2011.