- 4 franks
- 2 tablespoons McCormick grill seasoning
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 hot dog buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- Make a slit lengthwise down each frank, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Place the grill seasoning and franks in a plastic bag; shake to coat.
- Place the franks on a baking sheet and stuff each with 2 or 3 strips of cheese.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the brown sugar, chipotle, adobo sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Butter the insides of the buns and place up on the baking sheet with the franks. Broil until the cheese melts and the buns are toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble the hot dogs and top with the caramelized onions.