Top Review by mummamills
I made these in the food processor, and the recipe made a wonderfull dough. I rolled mine, but like the previous reviewer, the first batch crumbled. I did the 2nd lot thicker, and laid the pastry on the tray, sprayed it with oil, and sprinkled it with course salt, then cut it into fingers. It was still very short, but it tasted wonderful.
- 110 g plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- to taste cayenne pepper
- 65 g butter
- 50 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 -3 teaspoons water, cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, mustard powder, salt and cayenne pepper into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheese and mix the ingredients together.
- Mix to a stiff paste with the egg yolk and water.
- Turn out onto a floured work surface. Knead quickly until smooth and crack-free. Wrap in a polyethylene bag or foil.
- Chill for 30 minutes before using.
- Roll out, cut into strips and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 200 C / 400 F / Gas 6 for 15 minutes until golden brown.