Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are a "must have on hand" Southern Classic, one of the many "pick-ups."
Make and share this Cheese Straws recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 3 baking sheets.
- Beat the cheeses and butter together until VERY smooth-no chunks.
- Mix in flour, salt and cayenne.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick on a floured board.
- Color should be uniform.
- With a sharp knife or pastry wheel cut dough into 3/4 inch wide and 3 1/2 inch long strips.
- Place on cookie sheet, not touching.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Watch carefully, you dont want them to brown.
- Remove and cool on a rack.
- Store in a tightly covered container for 1 week at room temp or 3 months in the freezer (any longer and they taste stale).
Oh, my. These were inhaled by a group of teenagers within about 10 minutes so I have no idea how well they store. I'll take your word for it! Wonderful taste and excellent directions. I'm glad I got top quality parmesan cheese. Whatever flavour the cheese has is enhanced by the cooking process, and I think that cheap imitation-type parmesan cheese would ruin a good thing. Thanks - great recipe.
I did not have an easy time with this recipe. I followed the recipe and ended up with a bunch of crumbs that would not become dough. It was very disappointing. However, after leaving it sit while we had dinner, I decided to add some milk (1/2C). It held together enough to make the breadsticks. Even with the small amount of cayenne in the recipe, these little babies pack a punch. I noticed it right away and DH noticed it shortly after finishing one. He loves them and they are quite tasty.
VERY GOOD. Had to watch them to make sure they didn't burn but much much much better than another recipe I tried. Keeping this one.