Recipe by Acerast
No matter where I've worked I've found friends to share food and recipes with. This one is from my Tennessee years and was prepared for an office brunch by my co-worker Rose. Although a basic strata recipe, the addition of Cream of Asparagus soup gives it a unique flavor. It is delicious as written but feel free to add steamed veggies like asparagus or broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, diced ham....the sky is the limit! This is wonderful with a fruit salad or fruit compote.
- 8 slices white bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of asparagus soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish.
- Remove the crusts from bread and cut 4 of the slices into quarters.
- Place the quartered bread on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the melted butter over the bread.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bread slices.
- Crumble the remaining bread over the cheese layer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream of asparagus soup, milk, eggs, salt and dry mustard; pour over the crumbled bread.
- Cover and refrigerate over night or at least 2 hours.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.