Prep 12 hrs
Cook 1 hr
No matter where I've worked I've found friends to share food and recipes with. This one is from my Tennessee years and was prepared for an office brunch by my co-worker Rose. Although a basic strata recipe, the addition of Cream of Asparagus soup gives it a unique flavor. It is delicious as written but feel free to add steamed veggies like asparagus or broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, diced ham....the sky is the limit! This is wonderful with a fruit salad or fruit compote.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish.
- Remove the crusts from bread and cut 4 of the slices into quarters.
- Place the quartered bread on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the melted butter over the bread.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bread slices.
- Crumble the remaining bread over the cheese layer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream of asparagus soup, milk, eggs, salt and dry mustard; pour over the crumbled bread.
- Cover and refrigerate over night or at least 2 hours.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.