Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an easy breakfast dish-great to make ahead for rushed mornings as it can be refrigerated overnight. Almost any chopped vegetable or meat can be added; just add before the cheese layer. If you're feeding a crowd, just double and use a 9x13 pan. This is adapted from a Mennonite cookbook, More-with-Less.
- Arrange half the bread in a buttered 2 1/2 quart baking dish or 8x8 pan.
- Drizzle half the melted butter over the bread.
- If adding veggies or meat layer those on next.
- Cover with the shredded cheese.
- Top with remaining bread and drizzle remaining butter over.
- In a small bowl, beat the milk, eggs and seasonings.
- Pour over the bread.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Can be refrigerated unbaked up to 1 day.
Made as directed and really liked it as the carb side dish. Will certainly be making this again. Thanks, Kaarin! Made for 123 Hit Wonders Tag.
This made a good breakfast this morning with hash browns. It has a nice mild flavor that we all enjoyed! Thank you Kaarin!