Recipe by Kaarin
This is an easy breakfast dish-great to make ahead for rushed mornings as it can be refrigerated overnight. Almost any chopped vegetable or meat can be added; just add before the cheese layer. If you're feeding a crowd, just double and use a 9x13 pan. This is adapted from a Mennonite cookbook, More-with-Less.
- 6 slices bread, torn (can be dry)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange half the bread in a buttered 2 1/2 quart baking dish or 8x8 pan.
- Drizzle half the melted butter over the bread.
- If adding veggies or meat layer those on next.
- Cover with the shredded cheese.
- Top with remaining bread and drizzle remaining butter over.
- In a small bowl, beat the milk, eggs and seasonings.
- Pour over the bread.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Can be refrigerated unbaked up to 1 day.