Recipe by yooper
These appetizers are so good! The best part is you can make them ahead and freeze them and bake them frozen!
Top Review by Miss Annie
Mark, these are wonderful. I made them like your directions said. The Old English Cheese gives these appetizers a sharper, cheese flavor than using all Cheddar. They were spicy and full of flavor without being too hot. They were a big hit and voted a "must return" food. Family will get their wish since I froze a batch too. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 (5 ounce) jars Kraft Old English cheese spread, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) thinly sliced loaves white bread
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixing bowl, cream butter, cheese spread and egg until smooth.
- Stir in chilies, salsa and cheddar cheese.
- Spread about 1 tbsp of cheese mixture on each slice of 1 loaf of bread.
- Top with remaining bread, spread with more cheese mixture.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 squares, place on a greased baking sheet.
- At this point, you can either bake them fresh or freeze and bake later.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes.
- To freeze, place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove from the baking sheet and store in an airtight container in freezer.
- To bake frozen, place squares on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.