Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Everyday Italian
- 12 frozen puff pastry shells, unthawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated Fontina cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 -5 green onions, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the frozen pastry shells on the baking sheet and bake until they puff and become golden brown, about 20 minutes. Using a small knife, cut out the center of the pastry shells.
- Meanwhile, stir the cream, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the spinach, Fontina cheese, Parmesan, and green onions. Spoon the spinach mixture into the baked pastry shells. Bake until the pastries are golden brown and the filling is hot, about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the pastries to a platter and serve.
Simply divine and everything I had hopes they would be! I made these for a ladies coffee & breakfast. They were a HUGE hit. I used whipping cream and added an egg. I wanted it to be a bit more like a breakfast entree instead of an appy. I used less onions because they seemed a bit strong, good call because I didn't want it over powering the dish. I pre-baked the pastry shells the day before, according to the package directions but added a few more minutes, then filled and baked for 25 minutes the following morning. Thanks for posting bknm!
Oh My Goodness - this is so tasty. I made a few adjustments for the number of servings I needed but otherwise, prepared per recipe. Oh, I did add 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes because they add so much to a spinach dish. bknm - this dish is pure heaven. pretty enough to serve to company. Wow, wow, is all I can say.