1/1 Photo of Cheese Soup With Pumpernickel Croutons
A hearty soup, great topped with the croutons. A tossed salad would go good along side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread, cut into ½ inch cubes (1 oz slices)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F Place bread cubes on a jellyroll pan, and bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until toasted.
- 2While the croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in a food processor, and pulse until chopped.
- 3Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 4Add vegetables.
- 5Sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
- 6Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- 7Gradually add 1 can of broth to flour in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- 8Add flour mixture to pan.
- 9Stir in 1 can of broth; bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes or until thick.
- 11Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper.
- 12Cook for 10 minutes.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Add the cheese, and stir until cheese melts.
- 15Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons-- about 8 servings.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Soup With Pumpernickel Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.7
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.0 mg
- Sodium 788.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g