Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A hearty soup, great topped with the croutons. A tossed salad would go good along side.
Make and share this Cheese Soup With Pumpernickel Croutons recipe from Food.com.
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread, cut into ½ inch cubes (1 oz slices)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Place bread cubes on a jellyroll pan, and bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until toasted.
- While the croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in a food processor, and pulse until chopped.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetables.
- Sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Gradually add 1 can of broth to flour in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to pan.
- Stir in 1 can of broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cheese, and stir until cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons-- about 8 servings.
This soup is fantastic! I did make a loaf of pumpernickel bread to go with it and it really added to it. It also reheats very well and travels well in a thermos. Thanks for sharing!
A wonderful tasting cheese soup! Not overly thick with an overpowering cheese flavor like soups I have had before. My 13 year old niece loved it so I think this would be great for kids too. I didnt have pumpernickel bread so I used seasoned croutons. Thank you Vicky, this is definitely a family favorite!
I'm not a big soup person, but this was really good. I didn't have any pumpernickel, so I sliced and tosted french bread. I put the soup into individual clay bowls, topped each with a slice of toasted french bread and topped that with a slice of cheddar cheese and place them under the broiler until the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown. My guests loved it--thanks for posting.