A hearty soup, great topped with the croutons. A tossed salad would go good along side.
Make and share this Cheese Soup With Pumpernickel Croutons recipe from Food.com.
- 3 slices pumpernickel bread, cut into ½ inch cubes (1 oz slices)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Place bread cubes on a jellyroll pan, and bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until toasted.
- While the croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in a food processor, and pulse until chopped.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetables.
- Sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Gradually add 1 can of broth to flour in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to pan.
- Stir in 1 can of broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cheese, and stir until cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons-- about 8 servings.