Recipe by Debi
Mexican style comfort food! Serve with a crusty bread on a cold day. This is from a clipping out of some forgotten 1998 magazine about Soups & Stews
Top Review by SweetsLady
Yummy soup! I made it exactly as written. I would probably cut down on the carrots next time. The pesto was quite yummy as well and blended well with the soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup parsley sprig, stems removed & firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime peel, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped and seeded
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together chicken broth, carrot, green onion and tomato paste in a large saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 minutes.
- Combine milk, flour, mustard and 1/4 tsp pepper; stir into chicken broth mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for one minute more.
- Place cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Stir about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Stir cream cheese mixture back into remaining milk mixture in the saucepan. Stir in Cheddar cheese until melted.
- Jalapeño Pesto:.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until a paste forms.
- Cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Makes 1/3 of a cup.
- Serve soup in individual soup bowls with a scant Tbsp of Jalapeño Pesto atop each serving.