Recipe by Johnney
Some of the best soups I've ever tasted were in Mexico. Mexican cooks have a decided feel for making different and extremely tasty soups. This is one of them.
Top Review by mianbao
I enjoyed this soup very much for my lunch today, reducing the recipe to make 2 servings. I did use cheddar instead of velveeta, because it's easier to find here in Tokyo. I also cooked a little garlic with the other vegetables, rather than use garlic salt. Will have to make this lovely soup again soon, and make sure I have some croutons to have with it. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cut in cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a pot large enought to hold all the ingredients.
- Saute onions and celery over low heat until soft.
- Add the flour and cornstarch and stir until it bubbles.
- Gradually add chicken stock and milk and stir until smooth.
- Add baking soda, cheese, pepper and garlic salt, stir.
- Cook over low heat until the cheese melts and blends into the mixture.
- Add the parsley and cook for five more minutes more and serve.