Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This has been in my notebook collection of recipes to try.
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut into small pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups canned chicken broth
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- parsley, for garnish
- beer, at room temperature
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender and finely chop.
- Melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour and stir until well blended.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until soup is slightly thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese and allow to melt,
- Add milk, sherry, salt and pepper to taste and mix thoughly.
- Ladle into warmed mugs and sprinkle with parsley.
- Top with a small amount of beer before serving.