Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A luscious version for a cold night. From ALton Brown.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken broth, heated to simmer
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon marsala wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Melt butter in large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium pan. Add onion, carrot, celery, and salt. Sweat for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Sift the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add chicken broth and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and add garlic and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove bay leaf. Turn off heat, add cream and then puree with an immersion blender or in a conventional blender. Gradually add cheese, 1 small handful at a time, and stir until melted before adding next handful. Stir in Marsala, Worcestershire,hot sauce and white pepper. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Return to low heat until warmed through.