Top Review by Darkhunter
Oh, boy, Rita, this was totally delicious. Unfortunately, I didn't have any fresh chives, so had to use dried. I'm sure it tasted better using fresh, but our tiny market in our small town, doesn't stock fresh herbs. I can't believe this had never been reviewed! Thnx for sharing, Rita. Made for Diabetic Forum's Pool Party tag game.
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml chili pepper flakes
- 226.79 g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 59.14 ml scallion, sliced
- 14.79-29.58 ml chives, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter: blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add milk all at once, and cook over medium heat, stirring till mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat; add cheese; stirring till cheese is melted.
- Beat egg yolks till very thick and lemon colored. Slowly add cheese mixture, scallions and chives stirring constantly: cool slightly. Gradually pour over beaten egg whites, folding together thoroughly.
- Pour into a GREASED 1 1/2 quart souffle dish or casserole.
- Bake in slow oven, 300° for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or till a knife comes out clean. Serve IMMEDIATELY.