Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I used Cheese Souffle as a base for this recipe using cheddar, scallions and chives. It is filling! Serve with a salad of baby green.
- Melt butter: blend in flour and seasonings.
- Add milk all at once, and cook over medium heat, stirring till mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat; add cheese; stirring till cheese is melted.
- Beat egg yolks till very thick and lemon colored. Slowly add cheese mixture, scallions and chives stirring constantly: cool slightly. Gradually pour over beaten egg whites, folding together thoroughly.
- Pour into a GREASED 1 1/2 quart souffle dish or casserole.
- Bake in slow oven, 300° for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or till a knife comes out clean. Serve IMMEDIATELY.
Oh, boy, Rita, this was totally delicious. Unfortunately, I didn't have any fresh chives, so had to use dried. I'm sure it tasted better using fresh, but our tiny market in our small town, doesn't stock fresh herbs. I can't believe this had never been reviewed! Thnx for sharing, Rita. Made for Diabetic Forum's Pool Party tag game.