Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup cream of rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Combine milk and salt; scald.
- Sprinkle in Cream of Rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 4 minutes.
- Add butter and cheese; stir until melted.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat egg yolks until lemon colored.
- Gradually blend warm rice mixture into egg yolks.
- Fold in about 1/3 of beaten egg whites, then remainder.
- Pour into an unbuttered, 1-1/2 qt souffle or baking dish, OR, first lightly butter the souffle dish and dust with Parmmesian cheese.
- Sprinkle top lightly with Parmesan.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven until puffed and golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Serve immediately.