Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Excellent basic recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheese, grated
- 5 eggs, seperated (6 if small)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a saucepan melt butter; stir in flour and milk and season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in cheese until cheese melts and sauce thickens; then remove from heat.
- When cool, beat egg yolks into sauce.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into sauce.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Test with a knife.
i picked this to make for the french forum souffle tutorial because it was simple and authentic. i used gruyere cheese and baked it in a french white corningware dish. it was light and airy with great flavor.
This was outstanding. It was a simple recipe with wonderful flavor. I can't say mine looked as good as when Chia did this in the class, but it was still delicious. Thanks Little T. for a great dessert
A great souffle for us beginners. I didn't dig out the correct cups but now I am going to have to find them. I think now that I realize that souffles are not something to fear. The cheese I had was a Mexican Blend, but it works find.