- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheese, grated
- 5 eggs, seperated (6 if small)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a saucepan melt butter; stir in flour and milk and season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in cheese until cheese melts and sauce thickens; then remove from heat.
- When cool, beat egg yolks into sauce.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into sauce.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Test with a knife.