Recipe by Diane Axtell
Great to serve with a salad for a complete meal I got this recipe from the Pillsbury Cook Off Book in the 50's I've made it mant many times
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup scalded milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb gratted cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- mix water& yeast.
- To the scalded milk add shotning,sugar,& salt.
- Set aside to cool.
- Gradually add flour to a stiff dough.
- Knead& place in a warm place to almost double in size.
- Press dough into a greased cookie sheet.
- Have outside edges a little higher than center.
- Mix egg,milk,onion&salt.
- spread over top of the dough.
- Sprinlle chhese over the top.
- Let rise 25 minutes& bake 425 degrees 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with butter.