Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are wonderful savoury scones, which I got from 99 cents traditional british cooking cookbook. What a great invest I have to say! ;) These are very easy to make and in my opinion have a great flavour, too. Let me know what you think!
- 2 cups flour (I use half whole grain flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 30 g butter, cut into small pieces
- 180 ml milk
- 30 g butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated (e.g. cheddar or gouda cheese)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F.
- In a big bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt. Using your finger tips work in butter until dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add milk. Using a knife stir quickly into a smooth dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 or 3 turns before rolling out (you can also just pat it down a bit).
- Using a cookie cutter or glass to cut out scones (I use a 7.5 cm glass).
- Place on a paper-lined baking sheet.
- For glaze combine melted butter with cheese and sesame seeds and spread evenly over scones.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Enjoy warm or cooled.
Wow, Loula, these were awesome. Quick, easy to make with terrific results. So much flavor, loved the butter, sesame, old cheddar topping. It took the scones somewhere really special. They were great, light, tender and fluffy. I have allergies to grains, so I used white flour, which worked well in this dish. I made half the recipe as posted and the other half, I didn't add the topping to and used in Easy Chicken Pot Pie for a terrific dinner. Thanks so much for sharing this lovely recipe which I will make again. Made for Fall Pac 2012
These are really tasty. I used cheddar, but looking forward to trying other cheeses. For half of the flour, I used Nutritious Flour Blend. The dough was easy to roll out and cut. Went very well with a bowl of soup.
Simple and delicious! I used cheddar cheese, but am excited to experiment with other types, as well. Thanks for sharing!