Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty variation for tea time. Based on: http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_cheesescones.htm
- 180 g self raising flour
- 30 g butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 125 g grated cheese (use whatever strength you prefer)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- cayenne pepper
- Put a shelf high in the oven and pre-heat to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together. Rub in the butter and then mix in the cheese.
- Beat the egg and add in the milk; add mixture to the dry ingredients to make a soft, elastic dough. Roll out the mixture on a floured surface but not too thinly. Cut into round shapes and place on a well greased tray. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle a little extra cheese and pepper on top.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Serve warm with butter.
I made these for Sunday brunch today. They were wonderful with slices of baked ham and scrambled eggs. Made just by the recipe for beautiful scones. Made for ZWT 8 :D
1 1/2 c flour
2 Tablespoons butter i used 3
4 oz cheese ,i used about 1/2 c may need to use little more milk not much made 5 biscuits for me but they were bigger nice breakfast biscuit zaar world tour 8