Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I always make these to go along with my glazed ham,it has become quite a favourite. I have passed this recipe(along with my glaze recipe) to both my mother & my sister who both now make them as well. I got it from one of those Kraft What's Cooking magazines quite a few years ago.
- 2 cups water
- 6 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, diagonally sliced
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups aged cheddar cheese, graded (I like cracker barrel)
- Heat oven to 375.
- Bring water to a boil in a large frying pan, add potatoes, onions,& carrots.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes.
- or until tender, drain.
- In a medium saucepan, melt margarine, remove from heat and stir in flour, salt, pepper& cayenne.
- Add milk, blending well.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in cheese, cook over low heat, stirring constantly until cheese melts.
- In a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish, layer half the potato, onion& carrot mixture;Top with half of the cheese sauce.
- (I like to sprinkle the top with some parsley.) Bake, covered for 30 minutes.
- or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove cover during last 10 minutes of baking.
- **Ialways make them this way, but here are a few variations:*Chili: Add 1 tsp chili powder& cumin to sauce**French-Tarragon: Add 2 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves or 2 tsp dried to sauce**.
This dish was easy to assemble and the end product tasted great. I sliced my potatoes quite thin so they were almost cooked after boiling so I only baked them for about 30mins in the oven. After the first 20mins I topped the dish with about 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese. The BF thought it was really good and says there is never such a thing as too much cheese!
I was looking for something to make that would use the potatoes and carrots in my fridge and found this recipe. It was easy to make and I loved it. I am already making it again. I didn't use the cayenne and added a little more cheese. It was so good, and I didn't find it bland at all. Thank you!
These were pretty good. Slightly on the bland side but good. Will make again.