Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a recipe by Emeril Lagasse (from The Essence of Emeril show) that my husband enjoys.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, not rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350°F Fry the onion in butter until soft, add flour and whisk in with butter for 2 minutes.
- Then whisk in the milk and cook (on medium heat) until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add 3/4 cup of cheese, stirring until melted; season with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of potatoes in a small baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with half of sauce.
- Layer remaining potato slices on top of sauce and season. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (I sprinkle with a little parsley when done to add colour.).
This was fantastic! I doubled the recipe and baked them in a large, glass lasagna pan and it took about an hour for them to cook the whole way through. But it was well worth the wait. I served them at our Christmas Eve dinner that we host every year and my FIL bugged me all night until I finally printed out the recipe to send home with him. I will absolutely make these again and again!
Terrific. These are the best scalloped potato's w/cheese recipe I have ever had. It was so easy and had wonderful cheesy flavor throughout. This is a recipe that will be handed out to my friends. Even my 3 yr old loved them. Thank You.
These potatoes sure tasted good, but they took forever to bake. Like Wreckage, I had to bake for almost an hour. I think the dish I baked them in was not the best choice, though. It was one of those round, deep casserole dishes. Next time I'll try it with a shallower rectangle so that the potatoes can be spread out more. I think that will shorten the baking time.