Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Like cabbage? You will LOVE this recipe! I found this treasure in a 1968 edition of the Missouri Farm Bureau Cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup coarsely crushed potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add salt and cabbage to the boiling water, stir and boil 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat but do not drain.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, vinegar and mayonnaise, mix in cabbage and cooking liquid.
- Pour into a 1 quart casserole, top with cheese and potato chips and bake 25-30 minutes.
This didn't go over very well at my house. I think it has a lot of potential but we all found the vinegar to be overpowering. If I make this again, I will do two things differently; add half as much vinegar, and mix part of the 'toppings' in with the cabbage mixture.
This is not the same-old boring cabbage! This is tangy, cheesey and crunchy deliciousness! I loved the tang from the vinegar; it goes so well with the chips. If you like salt & vinegar potato chips or vinegar on your french fries, I think you'll love this. I'll be making this again. Thanx!