Recipe by PhrostyWindow
This is the simplest and best tasting vegan cheese sauce recipe we've found. We got it from our cousin Diana P. who got it from who knows where. We like it best for nachos. It works well for mac'n'cheese as well as enchiladas or any recipe that calls for a cheese sauce.
Top Review by gourmetwitch
I think the reason this includes lemon juice is because many vegan cheese sauce recipes call for something called Rejuvelac, which is made by soaking whole wheat grains, letting them sprout a day, grinding them with water and then letting the resulting mixture ferment a day on the counter before straining. It's kind of sour, but it's not at all like lemon juice. My advice is, if you're not making Rejuvelac, leave out lemon juice. I've made many vegan cheese recipes, and if I don't have a batch of Rejuvelac on hand I just deal with i and omit it. They all come out well. Real secret is the nutritional yeast. That's what gives it the cheesy flavor. Also, if you soak the raw cashews for at least 2 hours before making recipe, this sauce will come out much smoother, almost like melted Velveta. Also reduce the water to a 1 to 1 1/2 ratio (cashews to water). You can add additional water to thin if you need to..much easier to thin a thick sauce than to thicken up a thin sauce. You can leave out cornstarch if you follow this method, and best of all, you don't have to cook it if you prepare it this way... perfect for raw food enthusiasts. Several dashes of tumeric will make it yellow, if you're concerned about aesthetics.
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 2 ounces pimientos (half of a 4 oz. jar)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse cashews with hot water while combining the remaining ingredients (except chiles) in a blender.
- Add cashews to blender and process on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Cook in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Add chiles and serve or use in other recipes that call for cheese sauce.