Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my daughter's preferred recipe for cheese sauce to top Philly Cheese Steaks. While not truly authentic (I believe the actual Philly Cheese Steaks use Cheese Wiz), this is what my daughter likes : )
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk, divided
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated (whatever sharpness you prefer)
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into small chunks (the small chunks allow it to melt more quickly)
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter on low heat.
- Once melted, gradually add the flour, stirring constantly to avoid lumps, about 2 minutes.You should end up with a thick but still stirrable roux (A roux is basically just equal part butter and flour stirred over some heat and then you add your liquid ingredients to it. It's a thickener and can be used to start all sorts of cream sauces).
- Add 1/4 cup milk slowly to the roux and cook over low heat. Stir until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese, the remaining 1/4 cup milk and Velvetta and cook, stirring frequently, until you have a smooth cheese sauce, about 5 minutes.