Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderful Sauce for you Veggies also have made Nachos with this by adding hot peppers.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- American cheese (Cheddar, I use any cheese as long as it orange in color)
- In saucepan, heat butter, add flour.
- Stir until light brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add milk, bring to a slow boil.
- Add cheese, one slice at a time.
- Simmer to desired thickness (For thinner sauce, add less flour).
I thought this was a good cheese sauce for vegs. I use about 5 slices of American Cheese. I had to guess how much cheese because the recipe does not say how much to use.
A simple and delicious sauce for broccolli or cauliflower, etc. I was a generous with the cheese (1/2 cup grated old cheddar). For a bit more tangy-ness, try adding 1 tablespoon of french mustard (or mustard powder).
This is going to be a thick sauce, before adding the cheese this is rue, which is a base for gravy, or to thicken soup. I saw many say it was gritty, if you used cheddar cheese it might be the cause. I have had the same issue with my homemade mac n cheese if i use cheddar. Try using a softer cheese such as Colby, colby jack, cheddar jack might be ok too, since it's not just cheddar cheese. Hope my suggestion helps a little. I was just thinking softer cheeses melt easier so maybe it wouldn't get gritty.