Recipe by junk
Great cheese sauce for cauliflower or a horseshoe (the Springfield, IL dish). The better the cheddar, the better the sauce.
Top Review by omadarlin
Thank you SO much for this recipe! A Springfield, IL, native living out of state, I can't get a horseshoes without making my own. Flavor was perfect, but I thought it was a little too thick so I used another cup of half & half and increased the seasonings a touch. It was a HUGE hit with the family, so I am making my alteration notes and filing this recipe with the favorites. Horseshoe are going to be on the regular family rotation, now!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly for four minutes.
- Gradually whisk in half and half and keep stirring until it comes to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until it is melted.
- Season with worcestershire, ground mustard seed, and cayenne.