Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe in a really old book, the Southern Heritage Cookbook, and I swear my family eats it on everything!
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.25 ml white pepper
- 236.59 ml milk
- 177.44 ml sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat;
- Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Yield: 1 1/4 cups.
We enjoyed this cheese sauce with Easy Loaded Baked Potatoes (4 Ways) (variation #2) It was delicious with the potatoes and broccoli :) I used 1/2 milk and 1/2 whipping cream to give the sauce a richer flavor also added crumbled up chicken bouillon cube in with the butter for another added richer flavor. I added alittle black pepper and used shredded cheddar cheese, this is what I had on hand. This is a keeper! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)