Recipe by lcmarquez
I found this recipe in a really old book, the Southern Heritage Cookbook, and I swear my family eats it on everything!
Top Review by Marsha D.
We enjoyed this cheese sauce with Recipe #37689 (variation #2) It was delicious with the potatoes and broccoli :) I used 1/2 milk and 1/2 whipping cream to give the sauce a richer flavor also added crumbled up chicken bouillon cube in with the butter for another added richer flavor. I added alittle black pepper and used shredded cheddar cheese, this is what I had on hand. This is a keeper! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat;
- Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Yield: 1 1/4 cups.