Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Serve hot over lightly cooked vegetables, chicken or fish. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup vegetable cooking water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules or 1 crumbled chicken bouillon cube
- 3 -4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- Grate cheese to equal 3/4 cup; set aside. In a small heavy-based saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and stir continuously over medium heat until bubbly. Combine milk with vegetable water, if using, or additional milk. Using a whisk, gradually pour into saucepan.
- Use a wire whisk to combine into a creamy sauce. Add rest of ingredients except the cheese, and stir gently until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add cheese, stir until melted through.
- Transfer to a gravy boat and serve hot.