Recipe by Hey Jude
Good brunch or lunch dish...or for dinner with soup and a salad. Prep time includes refrigerator time.
Top Review by Linda B
I used Muenster cheese and deli style boiled ham to make these, and they cooked up golden brown and creamy. Excellent brunch/luncheon dish...even my meat/potato lovin' husband enjoyed this dish. I plan to make this often this summer as a mid-morning breakfast at the lake trying the different cheeses suggested..Thanks Hey Jude!
- 8 slices homemade-style white bread, 3 to 4 inches square,crusts removed
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced cheese (Muenster, provolone, fontina or Gruyere)
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ounces boiled ham, thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking dish and arrange 4 slices of bread flat on the bottom.
- Cover each with equal amounts of cheese and ham, if using.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Beat eggs lightly in a small bowl and pour in milk.
- Season with salt and blend well.
- Pour over sandwiches, cover and refrigerae for 1 hour.
- Bake sandwiches, uncovered, until lightly browned around the edges and set in the center, 40-45 minutes.
- Serve hot.