Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This delicious layered potato and cheese recipe comes from Basel, Switzerland. Enjoy!
- 6 large potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and let cool.
- Once cool, peel and grate potatoes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in large nonstick skillet, add a layer of potatoes and a layer of cheese, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Repeat layers.
- Dot each layer with remaining butter.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons hot water over the top layer, cover and saute at low to medium heat until bottom layer browns.
- Turn with spatula and brown again.
Yum...potatoes and cheese! What's not to love? Stacking the layers made me worry the middle wouldn't be done and the outside would be too brown, but I lowered the cooking temp and it turned out beautiful. I grated some onion and minced some garlic and threw that in with the potatoes....sorry, I'm a southern girl! Made for ZWT7.
These were really good. I loved the Swiss cheese between the layers. I had never boiled potatoes first before making rosti (or hashbrowns), but it made the cooking process go much faster. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Linky. Made for Culinary Quest 2015 (Swiss).
This was delicious. I've made rosti before but they are usually too well done and dry for us. This one worked great by steaming them while browning. They were moist and wonderful. Thanks Linky for sharing such a nice winner. Congrats again on your 3rd (!!) football win this season.