Recipe by SlipC
This is a really good dish, can be used as a side dish or add a salad and eat as a light lunch!
Top Review by Sheila01
It is a very pretty dish. I increased the rice to 2 cups as I found there was not enough for 2 layers with just 1 cup. I used 1 cup cheddar and 1 cup swiss cheese. It was very easy to make and my husband loved it with all the onions (I used red) and green peppers (1/2 green 1/2 red)!! Thanks for posting
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese, of your choice (I prefer a mix of mozzerella and cheddar, but whatever suits your taste buds!)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat to boil first 5 ingredients, stirring once.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 14 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff rice, then cover for another 5-10 minutes to allow it to steam.
- In greased 9x13 pan, layer half of the ingredients in this order:rice, onion, green pepper, and your choice cheese (not the parmesan!) Repeat previous step.
- Mix together eggs and milk, pour over the rice mix.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cook uncovered at 325 degrees until set, approx.
- 50 minutes.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve!
- **Ifyou want to prepare it ahead of time, simply stop after you sprinkle on the Parmesan, cover and stick it in the fridge.
- Cook within 24 hours.