Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a really good dish, can be used as a side dish or add a salad and eat as a light lunch!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese, of your choice (I prefer a mix of mozzerella and cheddar, but whatever suits your taste buds!)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat to boil first 5 ingredients, stirring once.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 14 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff rice, then cover for another 5-10 minutes to allow it to steam.
- In greased 9x13 pan, layer half of the ingredients in this order:rice, onion, green pepper, and your choice cheese (not the parmesan!) Repeat previous step.
- Mix together eggs and milk, pour over the rice mix.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cook uncovered at 325 degrees until set, approx.
- 50 minutes.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve!
- **Ifyou want to prepare it ahead of time, simply stop after you sprinkle on the Parmesan, cover and stick it in the fridge.
- Cook within 24 hours.
It is a very pretty dish. I increased the rice to 2 cups as I found there was not enough for 2 layers with just 1 cup. I used 1 cup cheddar and 1 cup swiss cheese. It was very easy to make and my husband loved it with all the onions (I used red) and green peppers (1/2 green 1/2 red)!! Thanks for posting
This turned out lovely! I didn't have any fresh green pepper in the house, so I substituted 2 tablespoons of vegetable flakes. The shredded cheese I happened to have on hand and used was a monterey jack/cheddar blend. With the exception of the onion being somewhat over-powering, we really enjoyed it. Next time, I will use about half of a small onion rather than a whole medium onion. It turned out to be a very pretty and appealing dish, especially for something that was so quick and easy to throw together. Thank you for sharing this recipe SmartLilPunkinCookie!
This was not an explosion of flavor as I often like things to be. But it was nice and creamy comfort food. It was rice and cheese. I think that it needs more salt and could possibly benefit from some more vegetables added in. But it was a nice plain side dish.